1. The purpose of this technical note is to update Members on the contractual position regarding the new Kirkintilloch Community Sports complex (KCSc).
2. At a special meeting of Council held on 6th September 2021, Members affirmed an earlier decision to proceed with the construction of the KCSc and instructed officers to proceed to contract close. The construction contract was signed on 7th September 2021 and, as a result, the construction work is now progressing.
3. The Report to Council on 6th September was not available for publication and Council’s deliberations were held in private. This was due to the fact that the Report and deliberations included information which falls into the following categories of exempt information as per the Local Government ( Scotland) Act 1973 –
“6. Information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person (other than the authority).
8. The amount of any expenditure proposed to be incurred by the authority under any particular contract for the acquisition of property or the supply of goods or services.
9. Any terms proposed or to be proposed by or to the authority in the course of negotiation for a contract for the acquisition or disposal of property or the supply of goods or services.”
4. A press release has been issued confirming that the Council is proceeding with the construction of the KCSc, which reflects normal practice in relation to construction contracts of this nature. In addition, the press release has advised that the Council will undertake a future marketing exercise in order to identify a suitable operator.
5. Following the meeting on 6th September, officers contacted the legal representatives of other parties involved in the various strands of negotiations preceding the Council meeting to ensure that all were aware of the Council decision and the consequences.
6. In light of the above, it is in order for Members to discuss the decision to proceed with the construction contract and the decision to undertake a marketing exercise. Beyond this, Members should be mindful of the fact that the remainder of the information in the Report remains confidential at this time. This may change with the passage of events but Members should not disclose information beyond the terms of this Technical Note and the draft minute of the meeting of 6th September, which forms Item 3 d) of the agenda for the Council meeting scheduled for 23rd September 2021.