Gerry Cornes, Chief Executive
Wednesday, 29 September, 2021
East Dunbartonshire Council – Best Value Assurance Report
Ann Davie, Depute Chief Executive – Education, People & Business
This Technical Note will be published on the Council’s website following circulation to Member. Its contents may be disclosed or shared outwith the Council.
- Members will be aware that during the first half of 2021, Audit Scotland conducted a Best Value Assurance review of the Council.
- The Accounts Commission has today published its findings and a copy of the final Report is attached for members’ awareness.
- The Report reflects positively on the pace at which progress has been made since the last Best Value Report in 2017. This includes reference to particular areas of strength such as leadership, performance management, satisfaction, partnership working, consultation and self-awareness.
- Set within the context of Covid-19 the Report highlights that the Council reacted well to the immediate and ongoing challenges with governance, staffing and digital arrangements being adapted quickly to support the local and national response. Despite such challenges, the Report notes that areas such as workforce planning and financial management are effective and focused on Council priorities. This provides a strong base for the Council to respond to the challenges ahead.
- The Commission’s findings focus on areas of required and ongoing improvement actions. The Council is aware of its role in delivering improvements for our residents, communities and businesses balancing these against finite resources and new priorities. The Councils shares the concerns expressed, especially those in relation to inequality, housing, community planning and Integration Joint Boards.
- An associated action plan will be prepared and reported to Council on 4 November 2021, at which point Members will discharge the legal requirement to consider and approve the Report.
All Elected Members, Corporate Management Team, Executive Officers, HSCP Management Team and Corporate Communications