Home Education

The Education (Scotland) Act 1980 requires the Council to ensure that all children receive an efficient and suitable education, but their parents may choose how to provide this, either by sending the child to school, or by other means.

The Education Service seeks to work with home educators work to promote the wellbeing and education of children and young people through positive relationships that develop trust, mutual understanding and respect.

East Dunbartonshire Council guidance is based upon the Scottish Government's Home Education Guidance (2007) and the following key principles:

  1. Home education is a key aspect of parental choice, and parents may choose to home educate for a range of different reasons
  2. Home education is equal in law to sending children to school
  3. Home education is a right, conditional upon the parents providing an education suitable to the age, ability and aptitude of the child
  4. The views of the child or young person should be taken into account, where possible, in matters relating to their education
  5. It is essential to develop a positive relationship between the local authority and home educators

The Education Service seeks to ensure each enquiry about home education, is dealt with fairly, consistently, timeously and accurately as possible.

For more information in relation to Home Education please contact 0300 123 4510 or email customerservices@eastdunbarton.gov.



Who is entitled to home educate their child?

Any parent can choose to home educate so long as they provide an efficient and suitable education that is suitable to the age, aptitude and ability of the child or young person.

How does a parent/ carer withdraw a child from school to Home Educate?

Parents/ carers should write a letter to request consent to withdraw their child from school in order to educate them at home. This letter should include your child’s name, date of birth and current school.

On receipt of an application or enquiry an Inclusion Support Officer will contact the family to discuss the application process.

Once the process is complete parents or carers will receive a letter informing them whether the request is granted or whether further information is required.

If the request is granted the child’s name will be removed from the school roll.

What information do parents need to provide?

Parents/carers should provide an education plan.

They need to demonstrate that they are providing an education that is suitable for the child. This plan should include an indication of resources that will be used.

Parents/ carers can choose whether to submit a written outline of plans, or to have a meeting or home visit to discuss their plans.

East Dunbartonshire Council will seek opportunities to invite the child to express their views during this process.

Is information about Home Educating families shared?

On receipt of a Home Education request the Inclusion Support Officer will check whether there is any evidence indicating that there may be good reason to refuse consent, for example where there are child protection procedures or where the child is the subject of a supervision requirement.

All information is stored in accordance with our GDPR policy

What support is provided to Home Educating families?

The Inclusion Support Officer can be contacted for advice and support at any time. They can provide advice and signpost additional resources.

It is the parent/ carer’s responsibility to provide the curriculum and to meet any costs associated with this.

How does East Dunbartonshire Council stay in touch with Home Educating Families?

An Inclusion Support Officer will make contact with the family on at least an annual basis to review progress and offer advice if requested. If there are any concerns about the educational provision, more frequent contact may be requested.

Parents can choose whether to provide a written update, or to have a meeting.

The child or Young Person’s views are also sought.

What about formal qualifications?

There is no legal requirement for young people to take particular qualifications.

Parents/ carer educating their children at home can make arrangements for their child to sit formal qualifications, (for example through a local college, or online providers). Parents / carers are responsible for any costs of formal qualifications.        

What about my child’s future destination?

Once you child approaches school leaving age the Inclusion Support Officer will provide details for Skills Development Service (SDS) during annual contact.

If consent is given we can signpost other supports and services that can help your child to make decisions about their future.

Would I be eligible for Education Maintenance Allowance?

Young people aged between 16-19 who are following a home education programme may be eligible for Education Maintenance Allowance.

How can a Home Educated pupil access routine vaccinations?

The childhood immunisation team have clinics running to provide vaccinations to home educated children as well as pupils who are absent from school on the day their vaccine is being delivered.

To make an appointment for primary school age children for their flu vaccination, or a child between the ages of 12-17yrs old with a pre-existing health issue parents/carers should email the following address

Please state the child or young person’s name, DOB, CHI(if available) and reason for needing appointment within the email.

What if a child or young person has additional support needs?

A parent/ carer can educate their child at home if their child has additional support needs.

The council may ask parents/carers how they plan to meet their child’s needs at home.

In some cases, we offer continued support or guidance from the Educational Psychology Service.

For further guidance on Additional Support Needs and Home Education can be found on the Enquire website.