Project 101

Project 101 is our youth housing information service.  

If you are are from East Dunbartonshire, aged 14-25 years old and experiencing housing or homelessness issues then we may be able to help you. We can provide you with information and advice and signpost you to other agencies who may also be able to help.

How we help young people

Staff at Project 101 can advise young people who are considering their accommodation options if they:

  • Have nowhere to stay
  • Want more independence
  • Want to live somewhere new
  • Want to plan ahead
  • Are considering leaving home
  • Are moving away from the area to work or go to College/University

If you feel you are ready to leave home, Project 101 staff will provide information and advice on how to prepare for the realities of running your own home.

Project 101 staff can assist in the following:

  • Housing options
  • Housing Associations
  • Completing application forms
  • Accessing private rented accommodation
  • Linking you to other agencies
  • Budgeting
  • Accessing employment opportunities
  • Coping with living on your own
  • Assisting you in keeping your tenancy

The Project has links to a number of agencies within East Dunbartonshire which include:

  • Welfare Rights
  • Citizens Advice Bureau
  • Social Work
  • East Dunbartonshire Council's Homelessness Team
  • Canal Project (NCH)
  • East Dunbartonshire Council's Furniture Project
  • East Dunbartonshire Association for Mental Health
  • East Dunbartonshire Community Addiction Team
  • East Dunbartonshire Council’s Local Housing Offices
  • Women’s Aid
  • East Dunbartonshire Campus of Further Education
  • Youth Issues Team

Support Services that Project 101 provides:

  • New Young Tenant Visits (settling-in visit when you move into your first home)
  • Independent Living Skills (a short course designed to give you some of the skills you will need to maintain or prepare you for your tenancy)
  • Helpline (with answer machine)
  • One-to-one support (if you require ongoing support a member of staff will advise you on making the right decisions)
  • School Inputs (inputs to local school pupils to provide information on housing options in East Dunbartonshire)
  • Outreach services (staff are happy to meet you at many locations throughout East Dunbartonshire)
  • Signposting to other agencies (staff will ensure you are pointed in the right direction for the best support available)
  • Bed and Breakfast Packs (support to sustain emergency accommodation)
  • Work Club (in partnership with the local Job Centre we assist young people to access training and employment, by assisting with online job searches and form filling)
  • Budget cookery sessions (workshops with an emphasis on cooking healthy food on a low budget)

Accessing Housing

If you are looking to access housing in the East Dunbartonshire area we can:

  • Give advice and information on applying for Council housing and help you to complete a housing application form
  • Provide a list of Housing Associations and information on how to apply for a Housing Association tenancy
  • Assist you if you are seeking private or socially rented accommodation
  • Explain your rights and responsibilities as a tenant
  • Provide top tips about moving into your accommodation
  • Help you complete the forms
  • Help you get any benefits you are due

What is Independent Living Skills (ILS)?

Project 101 provides an Independent Living Skills Course which consists of four weekly sessions. The course helps young people prepare for a first tenancy or sustain a current tenancy.

Topics covered are:

  • budgeting
  • home safety
  • rights and responsibilities as a tenant
  • gaining knowledge of housing services and housing options
  • what benefits and grants are available to you

There is also an optional session on budget cookery which allows young people to see how they can cook a variety of dishes on a budget.

If you or someone you know would benefit from the course, you can complete the referral form below and return it to Project 101. You can self refer or have an agency such as local housing office, school or social work refer you.

If you would like to make a referral to the course please complete this e-form:

New Young Tenant Visits (NYTVs)

All young people aged 16 to 25 years who receive a tenancy from East Dunbartonshire Council are offered a New Young Tenant Visit to find out how they are settling in, and to discuss any issues or concerns they may have. They will be offered starter packs and information packs and if they ask for help, ongoing support will be provided.

If you have recently received a tenancy and not had a visit then contact Project 101, you can drop in and see us, call, e-mail or text.

If you have received a visit from us we would welcome your feedback. Please complete the feedback form and return it to us by email, post or hand it into our office.

Project 101 produces a newsletter every three months. The newsletters are sent to young tenants and copies are available from schools, libraries, housing offices and various agencies around East Dunbartonshire. Copies are also available from Project 101. If you have any ideas for articles you would like to see included in future newsletters, please get in touch with a member of staff at Project 101.

Youth Housing Multi Agency Forum

The Youth Housing Forum is a multi-agency network of voluntary and statutory organisations with an interest in housing and youth issues. It aims to encourage inter-agency working and co-operation and good practice. It meets approximately four times per year and is open to any organisation with an interest in youth housing issues.

We are based at 101 Townhead, Kirkintilloch, G66 1NX from 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday.  Or e-mail us here.