First Point of Contact for Nuisance

Our Wardens are usually the first point of contact in dealing with minor incidents of antisocial behaviour and neighbour disputes and are a link between the community and the police in trying to reduce crime and antisocial behaviour.  They also have enforcement responsibilities including antisocial noise monitoring, dog fouling and litter. 

We believe that antisocial or nuisance behaviour is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.  Antisocial behaviour includes a wide range of issues including:

  • playing music at excessive levels
  • vandalism
  • harassment
  • violence
  • drug related issues
  • disorder and a wide range of criminal activities

We can only tackle antisocial behaviour if you tell us about it and how it is affecting your quality of life. We need to know when and where it is happening so that we can target those causing the problems and introduce suitable and effective solutions.  

Where possible we aim to resolve problems informally through advice or mediation. 

If this cannot be achieved then we will instigate court action on your behalf.  Court action will only be considered if you agree and you will be consulted at every stage of the process.  Any information you provide will be treated in the strictest confidence.

Reporting a problem:

If you are a Council tenant you can contact your local Housing Office or if you are a Housing Association tenant you can contact your local Association Office

Contact Us