COVID-19 Self Isolation Support

Help available for self-isolating

If you or anyone in your household test for COVID-19, you and your whole household must immediately self-isolate for 10 days. 

There is lots of support available to anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 and therefore needs to isolate.

You can request help if you are:

  • Needing help with food/shopping
  • Struggling to pay your gas/electricity bills - find out about our crisis and community care grants
  • Unable to collect medication
  • Having difficulty paying for a funeral
  • Needing Welfare support (help with applying for Universal Credit or other benefits, managing deductions from benefits, support in applying for a Scottish Welfare Fund crisis grant or other financial help)
  • Having other financial difficulties (paying council tax, rent, household bills)
  • Feeling socially isolated
  • Unable to get out and need your dog walked
  • Having difficulty isolating

To request any support at all while you and your household isolate, please phone the free National Assistance Line:

0800 111 4000 (Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm)

You will be routed to one of our local Council team who will be able to help with the support you need for your 10 day isolation.

There is also support available here:

Support from East Dunbartonshire Voluntary Action (EDVA)

The Council is also working closely with East Dunbartonshire Voluntary Action (EDVA) who are providing a range of support for those who need it in the local area

EDVA are working in partnership with the providers of the Older People’s Advice Line (OPAL).  You can request support by contacting the OPAL Advice Line, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm:

OPAL Advice Line:          0141 438 2347

East Dunbartonshire Food Bank

East Dunbartonshire Food Bank continues to operate at this time and is available to those who are in poverty with no means to buy food.

Access to the Food Bank is by referral from the Council or from another Agency and you should contact either the National Freephone Helpline (who will route you to our local team) or the OPAL Helpline

National Freephone Helpline:            0800 111 4000  (Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm)
OPAL Advice Line:                              0141 438 2347  (Monday to Sunday 9am – 5pm)

The Food Bank has centres in Kirkintilloch, Bishopbriggs and Milngavie, but distribution can be arranged throughout East Dunbartonshire where required.

Domestic Abuse

If you or a neighbour or friend are a victim of domestic abuse, it is important to know that help is available.  Please do not delay in seeking help in the current coronavirus (Covid-19) situation.  You can call the 24-hour Domestic Abuse Helpline in confidence on 0800 027 1234.

Or you can visit the website

Domestic abuse is a crime and should not be tolerated.  You can call 101 to report it and 999 in an emergency.

Council Tax Reduction and Benefits

If you find yourself in financial difficulty as a result of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, you may be eligible to apply for Benefits including Council Tax Reduction.  You can find out more information, including how to apply, on our benefits explained webpage.

Scottish Welfare Fund

The Scottish Welfare Fund is there to help you if you are on benefits, have a low income or are having problems in paying a one-off expense. Grants do not need to be paid back to the Council, but are intended to meet one-off needs rather than on-going expenses.  There are two types of grant available to those who find themselves in financial difficulty.  The crisis grant and the community care grant.  You can find out more information, including how to apply, on our Scottish Welfare Fund webpage.

Welfare and Financial Advice

Welfare and financial advice is available through the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).  The service they provide is free, independent, confidential, impartial and available to everyone.  East Dunbartonshire Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB) can be contacted in the following ways:

Phone:          0141 775 3220


You must isolate if you or anyone in your household tests positive and your employer must support you to isolate to stop the spread of COVID-19.