At its meeting last night, East Dunbartonshire Council agreed to update its Polling Districts and Polling Places following a recent review.
Changes are required for a number of reasons including the closure of some venues that have previously used.
The following changes will now be implemented:
- The Guide Hall, Oakburn Avenue, Milngavie will replace the former Polling Place at St Joseph’s Primary School
- St Nicholas’ Primary School in Bearsden will replace the former Polling Place at St Andrew’s Primary School
- All Saints Church in Bearsden will replace former Polling Place in Bearsden Hall (these locations have both been previously used)
- Balmuildy Primary School and Kenmure Parish Church Hall will replace the War Memorial Hall in Bishopbriggs (an arrangement previously in place when the War Memorial Hall was closed for refurbishment)
- Auchinairn Early Learning and Community Centre will replace the former Polling Place at Auchinairn Primary School
- The Church of Scotland Hall in Milton of Campsie will replace the former Polling Place at Craighead Primary School
Joint Council Leader Vaughan Moody said, “Keeping our Polling Scheme up to date is timely and ensures that we are ready for any potential electoral event.”
Joint Council Leader Andrew Polson added, “Reviewing our Polling Places and Polling Districts is essential to ensure that they are fit for purpose and meet our obligations for electoral events.”
Now that the Council has confirmed these revisions to Polling Places, they will come in to force in December 2019. This allows for registration and the annual electoral register to be updated following the annual canvass of electors. The revisions will also be used should an electoral event occur in the meantime before formal adoption.