Council can offer elderly some help with their repairs


Friday, 9 August, 2019


The Care and Repair in East Dunbartonshire service - previously managed by Caledonia Housing Association - will now be operated by East Dunbartonshire Council.

The service provides free and practical advice and assistance for East Dunbartonshire residents aged 65 and over, or 60 and over with a disability or long term illness. This support extends all the way from completing minor repairs, through to assistance if you need an adaptation to your home.

There is no charge for labour or travel costs and you only pay for the cost of materials if supplied by the service.

The service carries out a variety of repairs and small jobs including:

  • Changing lightbulbs, fuses, batteries
  • Fitting draft excluders
  • Repairing kitchen units
  • Repairing/ fitting hinges and locks
  • Assembling small flat pack furniture
  • Fitting shelving
  • Fitting toilet seats
  • Trimming doors
  • Hanging curtains/ fitting curtain rails
  • Turning mattresses
  • Repairing doors/ windows

The Care and Repair team can also carry out a complete safety check around your home and identify any hazards or dangers which may pose a threat to your health, safety or security.

To qualify for the service, you must:

  • Live in East Dunbartonshire
  • Be a homeowner or private rented tenant
  • Be aged 65 or over, or 60 with a disability

Councillor Billy Hendry, Convener of the Place, Neighbourhood & Corporate Assets Committee, said, "The Care and Repair service is a well-used and popular service amongst our residents.

"The aim is to enable repairs to be carried out to allow people to live as independently as possible and remain at home comfortably and securely.

"Even if we cannot carry out the requested job, we may be able to refer you to a reputable contractor who can assist."

To access the service call 0300 123 4510 or speak to a customer service agent in any of our Community Hubs.


Follow us on Twitter @EDCouncil or like us at