Who will process?
The personal information provide in the School Placing Requests Application Form (“Personal Information”) will be processed by East Dunbartonshire Council 12 Strathkelvin Place, Kirkintilloch, G66 1TJ (the “Council”).
You can contact the Council on:
0300 123 4510
Why it will be processed
The Personal Information will be processed by the Council for the purposes of determining the priority of the application submitted for a pupil place at an East Dunbartonshire School as laid out in the Council’s Priorities for Admission Policy.
Who will have access to my information?
The Personal Information will be shared with the relevant school at which the place is being requested, other departments within the Council, the Council’s committee’s and/or boards and local councillors and other organisations for this purpose and also to:
- check the information we hold is accurate;
- prevent and / or detect crime; and
- protect public funds.
Other organisations may include the pupil’s existing place of education, bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, other councils, public sector agencies, governmental departments, regulatory and law enforcement bodies and other private companies or entities (such as service providers/contractors to the Council and/or partner bodies).
We will also generally comply with requests for specific information from other regulatory and law enforcement bodies where this is necessary and appropriate.
Set out below are some examples of who we share the Personal Information with and why:
We may require to verify the Personal Information contained in the School Placing Request application, which could involve the Councils contacting the existing school/local authority being attended by the pupil.
We use a computerised system called SEEMIS to hold and process educational data. The Personal Information will be uploaded and held on the SEEMIS system and the fact a School Placing Request has been made for the pupil will be recorded.
The Council’s accounts are required to be audited by the Accounts Commission. The Personal Information may be shared with the Accounts Commission or any auditors they appoint as part of the audit under section 97B of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973
The Personal Information may be shared with the council’s Audit and Risk Team, to check information provided is accurate and true to prevent fraud.
If your School Placing Request is refused and you opt to appeal the decision, the Personal Information will be shared with the council’s legal department, the Council’s Corporate Governance Team and the School Placing Request Appeal Committee which is composed of at least 2 local councillors.
What is the Council’s lawful basis for processing my Information?
The use of the Personal Information is necessary for the Council to comply with legal obligations under the following legislation:-
- the Education (Scotland) Act 1980 (Duty to comply with parents requests as to schools);
- The Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (to ensure proper administration of the Council’s financial affairs (including the detection and/or prevention of fraud) (and providing such information as necessary to the Accounts Commission);
Do I have to provide my information?
You do not have to provide the Personal Information to us. Without the correct information however we will not be able to process the School Placing Request application.
How long will you keep my information?
East Dunbartonshire Council uses the Scottish Council on Archives Records Retention Schedules to manage the amount of time the Council keeps information. Further information on these can be found here: https://www.scottisharchives.org.uk/resources/scarrs/
If you are searching SCARRS the Reference which covers the Personal Information for School Placing Request and School Waiting lists are:
10.006.012 – School Placing Requests and Appeals information
10.002.018 – School waiting list.
We will hold the Personal Information from the end of the school session for which the application has been made, for a period of 3 years. The Personal Information will be retained for the minimum period necessary. The Personal Information will then be destroyed after this period.
What are my rights?
- Right of Access – you have the right to access the personal information we hold about you. This right is called a Subject Access Request, often referred to as a SAR. You can receive a copy of your personal data held by us, details on why it is being used, who it has been / will be shared with, how long it will be held for, the source of the information and if we use computer systems profile or take decisions about you. Details on how to submit a Subject Access Request can be found here: https://www.eastdunbarton.gov.uk/council/data-protection/subject-access-request
- Right to Rectification of Personal Data - You have the right to request that we correct any personal data held about you that is inaccurate.
- Right to Erasure of Personal Data - You have the right to request that we delete personal data about you. This is known as the right to be forgotten. You can request erasure of personal data in certain circumstances for example: i) the personal data is no longer necessary for the purpose it was collected; ii) it is being processed unlawfully; iii) the personal data has to be erased due to a legal obligation we are subject to.
- Right to Restrict Processing - You have the right to request that we restrict processing your personal data if: i) you think the personal data is inaccurate; ii) the processing is unlawful; iii) we no longer need the personal data but you may need it for legal purposes; or iii) you object to us processing for the performance of a public interest task or the official authority vested in us.
Who do I contact if I have any concerns and / or complaints?
You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office should you be unhappy with the way we have processed the Personal Information. Details on how to report a concern can be found here: https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
ICO Head Office Address: Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Tel: 0303 123 1113
Regional Scottish Office Address: 45 Melville Street, Edinburgh, EH3 7HL
Tel: 0303 123 1115Should you have any questions or concerns about our handling of the Personal Information you can also contact Our Data Protection Officer:
Data Protection Officer
East Dunbartonshire Council
12 Strathkelvin Place
Tel: 0300 123 4510